- After Steve Lockie?s well-trumpeted departure from Data Translation to join rival Frontline, a mole reminded PC Squealer of Lockie?s larger-than-life opinions of the margins in broadline distribution. Industry cronies have vivid memories of Lockie swearing that he would sooner do unmentionable things to himself than go and work for ?the breadliners?. One suspects that he may be eating humble pie on the breadline.
- If Compaq had ever thought it was being overly paranoid about the antics of Dell, well it can think again ? it really did have something to be paranoid about. PC Squealer learned from a former VP of sales for government and education at Dell that the direct box-shifter used to send, at will, helicopter pilots with high-powered cameras fitted with telephoto lenses over to Compaq?s headquarters to see what it could find. A case of Little Brother Watching You, we think.
- Over the years, Channel Talk has rubbed shoulders with many of the great and the good from the IT industry. One such high-flyer that has found himself gracing the CT column is Seagate founder and CEO Al Shugart. Avid PC Squealer readers may recall that back in 1996, Al put his dog, Ernest, forward to be a Californian senator. Imagine our surprise when Channel Talk received a fax from Al himself asking if he could include our own version of Ernest?s tail in a book he was writing all about the exploits of said hound during his election campaign. Ernest?s campaign manager was none other than one of Shugart?s other canine buddies, Higgins. Sounds like a shaggy dog story to us.
- Meanwhile, the personnel changes at Azlan carry on. Ever since it was announced that Adrian Lamb, Azlan?s company secretary, had resigned from the board, there has been speculation that Lamb had in fact left the company altogether or he was wandering around the building without a job title. But Christian Martin, group director for field operations at Azlan, has attempted to clear up the Lamb matter. While he was was unable to remember Lamb?s title, he claimed that Lamb was ?helping resolve audit issues?. In what capacity, all will be revealed soon ? we hope.
- Unisys got PC Squealer up at the crack of dawn and all the way over to the green pastures of Normandy, France, in a chartered jet, only to hold the press briefing in a prefabricated building. But this could not be helped, because the vendor?s premises suffered at the hands of a flood when the banks of the Seine broke on 16 June. Reports that a number of lucky fishermen further down the river in Paris caught more than mackerel in their nets have not been confirmed.
Vendor's announcements include AI-powered Microsoft Office, a move away from password verification and an alliance with Adobe and SAP
Vendor claims hackers are hijacking machines to mine for cryptocurrency
Nearly half of SMBs are planning to invest in digital workflows to reduce their paper-based processes by 2025, according to Quocirca
The charter has pulled together the biggest names in tech in an unprecedented attempt to address the tech industry's lack of diversity. Tom Wright asks how it plans to do it