Cisco will bundle its networking products with Cap Gemini Ernst & Young's integration and application services division after both companies formed a joint venture last week.
Called Cap Gemini Ernst & Young Telecom, Media and Networks, the venture will operate as a subsidiary of the consulting company.
Cap Gemini, which bought Ernst & Young's consultancy business in March, has a 95.1 per cent stake in the new venture, and Cisco owns the remaining 4.9 per cent.
The venture partnership will employ up to 6000 management and IT consultants, and will operate from 24 locations throughout Asia, Europe and the US. The companies have also established research and development labs in London, California, Boston, Dallas, Paris, Munich and Singapore.
Cap Gemini's service offerings include ecommerce, broadband and supply-chain integration, voice and data integration, and wireless applications.
Alexandre Haeffner, chief executive at Cap Gemini Ernst & Young, said: "We have been able to create an entity that is perfectly positioned to decipher the increasingly complex convergence of telecoms, media and networking."
Most of the staff will come from Cap Gemini's existing telecoms and media divisions, but Cisco said it will also make available some of its networking specialists.
A Cisco representative said the new unit will focus mainly on Europe, but will also extend to the US and Asia.
CEO Graeme Watt admits the trading climate is becoming a little more uncertain as he and CFO Graham Charlton reflect on the reseller's £1bn year
Security vendor appoints Infinigate as part of strategy to grow channel business
As the trade war between the US and China ramps up, Marian McHugh investigates what impact this will have on UK prices and how partners are adapting to higher costs
CRN quizzes Avaya CEO Jim Chirico on the firm's progress after exiting Chapter 11 earlier this year, and listing on the stock exchange