Ironscales is looking for security resellers to roll out its phishing remediation solution in the UK
Ironscales was founded in 2013 by CEO Eyal Benishti to provide email phishing remediation and intelligence capabilities.
Speaking to CRN Benishti said that the current solutions to protect against phishing are inadequate, given that phishing is the most commonly used method of malware distribution.
"There are two major email security solutions," he said. "The first is the more traditional gateway or filter that sits on the network or the cloud, with the emails going through and trying to decide if they should be let through or not.
"They're good at filtering out spam or known attacks, but it's at least a couple of hours before they can spot new attacks and the second it hits the mailbox it's game over.
"The second is companies that employ awareness through email simulation or training to make sure people don't click on phishing emails. If you take each one of these solutions, they stop around 80 per cent of attacks, but the problem is with the remaining 20 per cent. This is why we think these two solutions need to be combined."
Benishti explained that the Ironscales solution works by combining machine learning with human interaction. The machine learning aspect of the software quarantines what it believes to be malicious content, but it will also learn from the commands of the end user themselves.
The solution operates both on end-point devices - in the form of a plug-in for the likes of Microsoft Outlook and Gmail - and also on the perimeter or in the cloud.
"The machine is empowering the employee to make the right decision and the employee is giving back his judgement on specific emails and basically training the machine to spot things," he said. "It's what we believe is the perfect ecosystem where the human and the machine are augmenting each other."
Ironscales completed its first round of funding in January last year, raising $1.5m, and is currently in the early stages of its Series A round.
Ironscales launched into the UK two months ago and currently has two employees, with more set to follow soon to increase its sales and presales presence.
The vendor has four UK channel partners, but is on the hunt for more managed security service providers.
Ironscales recently announced a partnership with Check Point, which sees the vendor support Ironscales' sandbox solution, which Benishti said provides a strong proposition for current Check Point partners to bolt on Ironscales' products.
"We're looking for channel partners that have no anti-phishing solution because phishing is hitting everyone now, not just enterprises but SMBs as well," Benishti said.
"Also channel partners that are looking to push an innovative kind of solution to replace a traditional solution like email filtering and especially channel partners that want to differentiate themselves from other partners that are selling mostly firewalls or more traditional stuff."
Having been in the UK since March, a channel programme is expected to be launched in the coming months along with moves into mainland Europe with an initial focus on the Nordics.
Lior Arbel, European general manager at Ironscales partner Performanta, said that the Ironscales solution moves past traditional awareness solutions available on the market - specifically citing Ironscales' crowdsourcing methodology which uses input from all users in an organisation to determine whether an email should be blocked.
For example, if 20 users in a company all receive the same email and flag it as a possible phishing attack, the Ironscales solution will take note of these and recommend all users do not click through on any of the links.
"We really like the solution because in the anti-phishing market there are many players that just focus on the education part," Arbel said. "Ironscales take it a few steps further.
"They engage with employees by allowing them to report on potential phishing attacks using crowdsourcing, so in many organisations they'll be a process where you need to forward the email to a help desk for review. With Ironscales you can do remediation almost immediately.
"If a few people report an email as suspicious then the system itself can act immediately without the intervention of someone in the IT department."
Contingency plans follow Carillion's demise earlier this year
Oliver Tuszik says partners can boost subscription sales by taking a customer experience-led approach
Firm says enterprise business has performed 'weaker than originally expected'
Top executives from nine VARs, including Computacenter, Bell Integration, XMA, ANS and Epaton, weigh in on which server, storage and networking technologies will be red hot next year