As the saying often goes, sales are vanity, and profits are sanity.
That's why we we've opted to turn our annual list of the UK's top resellers, MSPs and consultancies on its head by ranking each firm based on their absolute profits.
Although the data is accessible only to subscribers of our new CRN Essential service, we're able to reveal some of the top-line findings here.
- Computacenter and Softcat remain numbers one and two in the rankings, although based on absolute profit Softcat closes the gap on its larger rival, with operating profits of £50.2m versus £55.9m.
- The UK's top 250 (or the 247 who disclosed the relevant figures) generated combined operating profits of £508m in their last financial years on record*
- Some 58 per cent of that total (£291m) was generated by the top ten
- Out of the top 20 firms by profits, only 11 also feature in the top 20 rankings by revenue
- Of the 247 who disclosed their profit numbers, 208 made an operating profit, and 49 made a loss.
- Some 114 of the top 250 hauled in a profit of over £1m in their last financial years.
*at the time the research for Top VARs was conducted
Struggling security titan makes three board appointments after investor took 5.8 per cent stake last month
Commvault ousted its CEO in May and has since undergone a radical refocus
As employees demand more flexible working environments, CRN asks how the channel is adapting to the changing working landscape
Wall Street less than impressed with Oracle's growth as cloud numbers remain hidden