Anyone opening the December issue of CRN next Monday will be greeted by a copy of the 2017 edition of Top VARs, our annual rundown of the top 100 players in our industry.
However, in the knowledge that many of you will have broken up for Christmas by then, we are this week making the report available ahead of its publication. Alternatively, you can now view the 100 profiles individually here.
Top VARs ranks and profiles the top 100 UK resellers, MSPs and IT consultancies by revenue, and for a second year running also examines the profit margins of those who made the cut. As part of the research, we have also questioned over 250 end users on their IT spending priorities and what they are seeking from their IT suppliers.
We hope you'll agree that this year's research throws up some interesting results. Headline findings include:
- Collective revenues rose by 15 per cent to £13.6bn
- Average (operating) profit margins fell steeply, from 4.4 to 3.4 per cent. Some blamed Brexit for profit shortfalls
- Four of the top 20 players from last year have vanished
- One player climbed 64 places in the rankings after growing revenues from £35m to £251m
- SCC has dropped out of the top five as it continues to sacrifice revenues for higher profits
- Since Top VARs started in 2011, the revenue threshold has risen from £12.5m to over £32.3m
- End users are buying from an increasingly wide range of suppliers, and value specialisation above price
Research for this year's Top VARs was completed at the start of November. We are aware that several firms may have published fresh annual numbers since then. To read our FAQs on how we compiled the rankings, click here.
This year, we have collected data on and profiled not only the top 100 players, but also those ranked down to 250. These findings will be shared at the start of 2018, and if you want to know more, please get in touch via [email protected].
We are constantly seeking to ensure the research is precise and encompasses as many firms as possible, so if you have any feedback, or know of any company you feel has been overlooked, please get in touch via [email protected].
'It's really important we don't just do big brands', Paul Eccleston tells CRN sister publication Channelnonmics Europe
Mike Chambers joins Leeds-based reseller
Frank Richmond founds One Distribution after taking his Australian MSP public
With Lenovo's shares languishing and ZTE being barred from buying US components, what are the implications of the current US-China trade war for the channel?